Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Morsels

One of the skills that I've acquired while living on the farm is the art of "comfort food" cooking. Nothing fancy, nothing you can't pronounce, just good old-fashioned make-ya-feel-good food! From now on at Where the Blacktop Ends, Mondays will be the day that I reveal one of my family's favorite meals....hence the title Monday Morsels! If it sounds good, give it a try & let me know what ya think. If you have a different rendition of the same meal, let me know - I'm always up for suggestions! Enjoy!

CREAMED CHICKEN OVER BISCUITS - the ultimate comfort food!!

Creamed Chicken:
4 chicken breasts, cooked & diced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. flour
3 tsp chicken bouillon granules
dash salt and pepper
5 cups milk

Saute onion and garlic poser in melted butter in a saucepan, then stir in flour, blouillon granules, salt and pepper. Quickly add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in chicken and heat thoroughly. Serve over hot buttered biscuits. (Serves 8)

Biscuits:
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients together, then cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk, then add to flour mixture and stir. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently about 20 times. Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness and cut biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Like I said, my family loves this recipe...it is especially good on one of those cold winter nights when the fluffy white snowflakes are starting to fall!

I found this recipe in my favorite cookbook Supper's on the Table, Come Home by Rachel Masters. EVERY recipe in this book is awesome! Check it out at
www. schallertel.net/~rmasters

2 comments:

  1. Oh yummy. I love anything that has to do with cream and chicken. Period. You know I made a pot roast for the first time in my life last week. I want one every week now. I am developing a beautiful relationship with my crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess, I have this same cookbook and have loved everything I have tried in it!!! Poppyseed chicken is one of our family favorites...Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete