Friday, July 17, 2009

Introductions...

As I sit here and try to decide what crazy thing my kid has done now that I can share with everyone, I realized that I haven't even taken the chance to introduce my subject matter, my four causes for inspiration, my kids! My plan is to introduce one child a day for the next four days...starting from the oldest and working my way down. (Now keep in mind, this is my PLAN....it may take a couple of weeks to actually get this done, but I'm aiming high here!) So, without further ado, here is the start of the formal introductions.....(if there was a drumroll, I'd insert it now)

Child #1 - Erin Nicole



Nearly a teenager now, Erin is the one child of mine that could get voted in as Most Like Her Mother. We've been told we look alike, talk alike, act alike...no one can tell us apart on the phone which drives my husband crazy! The funny thing is that neither Erin nor I think we are anything like each other - not even a resemblance in our mind.






I'm not going to lie to you, when Erin was first born I was so excited to have my little dancer/cheerleader! I couldn't wait for her to play dress-up in all of my old dance costumes and was equally excited to watch her up on the dance recital stage that was my home for 13 years. It saddens me to admit that all of those dreams came to a halt in her preschool year of dance lessons....this girl has no beat! She's the one that you see in the crowd clapping to the off beat - a rhythm master she is not! This is also the little girl that we would send outside to sing "so the birdies would get a chance to enjoy her tune". I can laugh and poke fun at this now because she is in total agreement with it and laughs at herself and her awkward "feel for the music." The totally absurd ending to this is that Erin LOVES to play musical instruments, and low and behold with all of her lack of rhythm, she is pretty darn good at it! She started out 2 years ago playing the trumpet, but soon switched (hallelujah!!) to the clarinet. After really getting a grasp on the music of that instrument, she has also taken on the piano, saxophone and bass guitar. I think the reason that she is excelling at playing is because Erin has a remarkable work ethic....she LOVES to practice and will not be caught dead going to band lessons without knowing the music inside and out - quite a life lesson she is picking up there, and she learned that one all by herself!

Another of Erin's passions is athletics, which is a total shocker to me! I'm the one that can't catch or throw a ball (I was a cheerleader for God's sake) and she completely amazes me when she is on the field playing softball or on the court playing volleyball or basketball. She laughs at me when I talk to her about her games because she knows that I have no idea what I'm talking about....I don't know names of positions, plays...hell, I hardly know the rules for half of the sports! I admire the fact that she isn't afraid to get out there and give it her best during a game and I believe that is another life lesson that she is picking up all on her own - it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.




The absolutely cool thing about Erin this summer has been that she has really seemed to grow up. Although I'm still her mom, in some ways I can see that I'm also becoming her friend. We can joke about things together and just enjoy a good laugh every now and then and I love that I don't always have to have my "mom" face on with her. Now, I know she's not "all growed up" yet and I still have to be MOM, but I'm really just savoring in the moment of seeing the person that she is becoming....someone who might look a bit like good ol' Mom, but truly is a person all her own. I can't wait to see what the future holds for her....I have no idea where it's going to take her, but I'm sure it will bring her great things!

































No comments:

Post a Comment