Sunday, November 2, 2008

Oh they are honest little creatures, aren't they!!

Why, oh why, did they ask me to be a substitute teacher for the Pre-K/Kind. Sunday School class at church? Saying no to being a substitute is, like, anti-religious, isn't it?!

It should've been pretty simple this time...I get to plan my own lesson to teach the kids, and besides that, there are only 3 little ones in this class - not a huge audience to blow it on!

Well, I showed up for class this morning with one of the pupils in tow (my 5 year old, Evan) and pulled out the materials that I had slaved over for several hours the night before. I found the perfect subject matter for my little class - being watchful of what we say and what we do. Things were going great...all eyes on the teacher, ears listening...my, they are model little students, aren't they!! Things were going so well and I just couldn't wait to get to the group participation portion of our day!

I asked what it means to be watchful of what we do - awesome answers from my little prodigies! Don't hit, don't kick, share, no biting...perfect! We are on a roll! Thinking I must be the best Sunday School teacher to walk thru the doors, I called on my son to answer the next question...it went a little like this: "Evan, what does it mean to be watchful of what we say?" to which he responded, "Don't say things like Jacka**" Now, in all honesty, he was 100% correct on that...do I praise him for his comprehension of the lesson or scold him for even uttering those lovely words in church!!! Needless to say, he sat in the corner for a long portion of class and the rest of the lesson was downhill from there!

The moral of this story - no matter how well prepared you feel, or how wonderful of a job you think you're doing...leave it to a 5 year old to put your feet back on the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment